LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Betty Swift


Share
Originally Posted Online: Jan. 23, 2013, 5:35 pm
Last Updated: Jan. 24, 2013, 9:28 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

Funeral services for Betty L. Swift, 85, of East Moline, will be at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Van Hoe Funeral Home, East Moline. Burial will be at Rock Island National Cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday prior to services at the funeral home.
Mrs. Swift died on Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013, at her daughter's home in Moline. Memorials may be made to the family.
Betty Riley was born on Sept. 8, 1927, in Whiting, Iowa, the daughter of William and Lulu Archer Riley. She married Glen David Swift on Oct. 21, 1947, in Sioux City, Iowa. He died on Oct. 26, 1997.
She worked as a housekeeper at Illini Hospital, Silvis. She had been an active member of the Church of the Nazarene, Moline, and their missionary work. She enjoyed making sculptured dolls. Betty was a people person. She loved being with her friends and family.
Survivors include her daughters, Barbara Laird, Mesa, Ariz., Patricia Ann Davis, East Moline, Donna Hahn, East Moline, Gail (Gary) Meyers, Moline; sons, Keith Swift, Peoria, Ill., Dennis Swift, Davenport, Greg Swift, East Moline, Gary Swift, East Moline, and Billy Swift, East Moline; 14 grandchildren; 27 great-grandchildren; brothers, Donald Riley, Gulf Port, Miss., and Marvin Riley, Milan; special friend, Leah Lorenson, East Moline.
She was preceded in death by her parents; husband; sister, Elaine Gano; and brother, LeRoy Ferdig.
Online condolences may be left for the family at www.vanhoe.com.
















 



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)