Dorothy Barnett


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 15, 2013, 5:50 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Dorothy A. Barnett, 92, a resident at Fort Armstrong Assisting Living, Rock Island, died on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013, at Trinity Rock Island.
A memorial service will be at 1 p.m. on Friday at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, Rock Island. Visitation will be an hour prior to the service. Inurnment will be at the National Cemetery, Arsenal Island. Memorials may be made to a food pantry of your choice or to a favorite charity.
Dorothy Kane was born on Dec. 22, 1920, in Moline, a daughter of Clifford and Ann Fischer Kane. She married Robert S. Barnett on Aug. 24, 1943, in the rectory of St. Joseph Catholic Church, Rock Island. Bob died on Aug. 14, 2010.
She graduated from Rock Island High School in 1938. Dorothy worked for 16 years as a clerk at the downtown Davenport location of Petersen Harned Von Maur. She retired in 1984.
She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church, Rock Island, and the former St. Joseph Catholic Church. Dorothy also was a member of the Mississippi Valley Quilters Guild and the Petersen Retirees. She liked making quilts for family and friends and for many years made doll and teddy bear quilts for local children's groups.
Survivors include her sons and daughters-in-law, Jay and Connie Barnett, Normal, Ill., Tom and Kathy Barnett, Rock Island, and Martin Barnett, Boulder, Colo.; grandsons, Rick and Cory Williamson, Andrew and Chad Barnett, and Shane and Evan Barnett; three great-grandsons; a great-granddaughter; a stepgreat-grandson; and her sister, Marie Dobos, Cleveland, Ohio. She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Bob; daughter, Kathryn Williamson; and brother, C. C. Kane.
Online condolences may be left at www.wheelanpressly.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)