Friends of the Canal monthly hike outing Jan. 20


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 15, 2013, 1:23 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Friends of the Canal


The Friends of the Canal are holding their monthly Hike the Canal outing on Sunday, January 20. This portion of the "Hike the Hennepin" is 3.8 miles in length and it has been named the "Red Tail Hawk". This hike will be on the feeder canal from Bridge 59 to Bridge 56.

We will meet at Bridge 56 at 1:30pm from there we will be shuttled to Bridge 59 to begin our hike. Bridge 56 is on Route 92 four miles west of Route 40. Route 92 is 13 miles south of Rock Falls on Route 40 or 12 miles north of I80, Exit 45 on Route 40.

The monthly hikes were developed by the Friends of the Hennepin Canal as an opportunity for everyone to get to know the Canal personally by hiking it from the Illinois River to the Mississippi (including the Feeder Canal) in small legs. You need not be a member of the Friends to join us in any of the hikes.

There is no fee for the hikes. Come and join in the fun and bring a friend. We ask that you dress weather appropriately.

For more information, contact Ed Herrmann
at: hikes@friends-hennepin-canal.org (email) or call 815-664-2403 (home) or log on to our website at: www.friends-hennepin-canal.org.

Next hike:
February 17 – Lock 30 (Steel Dam) to Lock 32 - 4.6 miles - Meet at Lock 30

















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)