Figge Art Museum awarded Humanities Iowa Grant


Share
Posted Online: Dec. 05, 2012, 3:46 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by The Figge



Davenport, Iowa (December 2012) – The Figge Art Museum is pleased to announce it has received a grant from Humanities Iowa. The Figge was recently awarded a $5,000 grant for its upcoming exhibition Marking Territory: Cartographic Treasures of the Mississippi Valley and the World Beyond which will be on display from March 3, 2013 – June 16, 2013.

Marking Territory is a Figge-curated exhibition that draws upon the map collection of the University of Iowa Libraries as well as a private collection. Featuring a selection of 25-plus historic maps that range from early representations of the world to more detailed examinations of America's vast interior west of the Mississippi, the exhibition explores how maps communicate highly complex ideas about identity, politics and culture. The exhibition will be part of the Figge's ongoing exhibition series Visions of Iowa. Established in 2009, the series provides a platform for showcasing art that provides a historical and contemporary perspective on the people and places that make up Iowa.

The exhibition will be supplemented with extensive educational programming such as lectures, gallery talks and family events. Funding from Humanities Iowa will be used to support educational programming for the exhibition.

Humanities Iowa is an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities and brings the humanities to the public through grant making, publications, and through interactive programming and events; www.uiowa.edu/~humiowa.The views and opinions expressed by the exhibition and its educational programming do not necessarily reflect those of Humanities Iowa or the National Endowment for the Humanities.

For more information and museum hours, contact the Figge at 563.326.7804 or visit www.figgeartmuseum.org.




















 




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)