Today is Sunday, Dec. 2, the 337th day of 2012. There are 29 days left in the year.|
1862 — 150 years ago: The ladies of the M.E. Church, request us to say that they will hold an oyster supper at Island City Hall, on Friday evening, the 5th, for the benefit of the church. Admission is 10 cents. The very best oysters and other refreshments will be served to all who favor them with a call.
1887 — 125 years ago: A Rock Island branch of the Armour Packing Company has been opened despite protests of Rock Island butchers. The store is at 1910 Second Avenue.
1912 — 100 years ago: Service on the Long View Street car line was halted today when two cars left the rails on Twenty-fifth Street hill.
1937 — 75 years ago: An ordinance to make Kirkwood Boulevard in Davenport an arterial highway from Brady Street to Jersey Ridge Road was held up by the Davenport City Council last night. Action was delayed after one alderman explained that a number of residents wanted to protest.
1962 — 50 years ago: More than 26,000 persons from 83 cities in Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin shopped in downtown Moline during Turkey Days, Nov. 15-17, according to a survey conducted by the Moline Association of Commerce.
1987 — 25 years ago: A $100,000 bequest from the estate of a childless Rock Island couple is allowing Alleman High School to expand a scholarship program, equip two classrooms with computers and update school equipment. The gift from William and Nellie Bruhn is believed to be the second-largest bequest in Alleman's 33-year history.
East moline, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|