Laurence Hayes Jr


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 25, 2012, 3:54 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Dr. Laurence W. Hayes Jr., 90, of Silvis, died Sunday, Nov. 18, 2012, at Aspen Rehab & Health Care, Silvis.
Per his wishes, there will be no services. In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to Friends of St. Elizabeth's Hospital for their Mother/Child Department, 211 South 3rd St., Belleville, IL, 62220.
Laurence was born on Jan. 13, 1922, in Howard City, Mich., the son of Laurence W. and Freda A. Schanz Hayes. He married Muriel Bemis on Jan. 14, 1944. He later married Kathleen Erwin in 1972.
Laurence received his undergraduate degree as well as his medical degree from the University of Michigan. He did his internship while stationed at Great Lakes with the United States Navy. His residency was established at Lying-In Hospital in Chicago. He was captain in the Air Force and stationed at Scott Air Force Base.
Laurence practiced as an OB/GYN physician in Belleville, Ill., from 1954 to 1986. Practicing medicine was his greatest passion in life.
Survivors include his daughters, Mary Eileen (Dan) Schuder, Alton, Ill., Dr. Margaret Ann Hayes, Norwich, N.Y., Barbara Finan, Kirkwood, Mo., Mary Teresa (Jerry) DeWitt, Champaign, Ill., Kathleen Hayes, Moline, Dr. Nancy Hayes (Harley Peckham), Mt. Grove, Mo., Rosemary Manda, St. Louis, Mo., Dr. Bridget (Nelson Binggeli) Hayes, Atlanta, Ga., Virginia (Paul Sherman) Hayes, St. Louis, Mo., and Tracy (Jim) Carp; brothers, Dr. John T. (Marilyn) Hayes, Hilton Head, N.C., and Dr. Thomas P. (Geneva) Hayes, Evansville, Ind.; many grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Online condolences may be left for his family by visiting his obituary online at www.esterdahl.com.












 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)