Cambridge Festival of Gingerbread, Tour of Homes planned Dec. 1 and 2


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 20, 2012, 7:08 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Lisa Hammer, rlhammer@qconline.com
CAMBRIDGE -- A Festival of Gingerbread and a Tour of Homes are planned by Cambridge Main Street as part of Christmas on the Square on Dec. 1 and 2.

There also will be a holiday lighting contest with cash prizes. Residents wanting their houses judged need to enter their addresses at the village office. Judging will be on Saturday, Dec. 8.

Dec. 1 events include horse-drawn carriage rides and a Taste of Cambridge from 5 to 7 p.m. On Dec. 2, Cambridge Lutheran Church will have a Swedish bake sale from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the First Baptist Church will offer its Calories Galore sale of cookies and holiday treats from 1 to 3 p.m.

Formerly the Festival of Trees, the Festival of Gingerbread, will featured houses, wreaths and miniature trees from 2 to 6 p.m. at the community hall with winners announced at 6.

Santa Claus arrives by firetruck at 4 p.m. A chili supper is planned from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. with hot dogs available for children. Prices are $3 for children 12 and younger and $5 for adults. The high school jazz band will perform.

Tickets for The Main Street Tour of Homes can be bought from the Main Street office at 124 W. Exchange St. in advance or from volunteers at the three homes. A poinsettia will be given away.

The tour includes Boyd and Kathy Johnson, 219 N. West Street; Brian and Becky Nelson, 202 Valley View Drive; and Kippy Nelson, 13227 N. 700th Avenue (Illinois 82 three miles south of Cambridge and east on County Road 700).

"All the homes are amazing in design and decor," Cambridge Main Street director Deb VanDeWoestyne said. "As always, Main Street is very grateful to the homeowners for agreeing to open their doors and allow others to share in their Christmas traditions, old and new, and view the beauty of their homes and decor."

Winners of the Stop and Shop Cambridge promotion will be drawn on Dec. 2, with a Christmas cantata planned at the First Baptist Church at 7 p.m.


















 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)