PREP FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

Lois Douglas


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 12, 2012, 6:28 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Lois M. Douglas, 91, of Annawan, died Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, at Hammond-Henry Long Term Care, Geneseo.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 17, at Annawan Community United Methodist Church. Burial will be at Oakwood Cemetery, Geneseo. The Rev. Dan Wright will officiate. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. on Friday at Stackhouse-Moore Funeral Services, Annawan. Memorials may be made to Annawan-Alba Rescue Unit or Annawan Community United Methodist Church.
Lois was born in Geneseo on April 20, 1921, to Charles and Dora Himmelman Gritman. She graduated from Geneseo High School in 1939, and was united in marriage to J. Avery Douglas on Aug. 23, 1942, in Geneseo. He preceded her in death on May 7, 1993.
Lois was a member of the Annawan Community United Methodist Church, including several Bible study groups, the Annawan-Alba Women's Club, Geneseo T.O.P.S., Geneseo Women's Connection Group, and Friends Christian Singles Group. She was a Bloodmobile volunteer for over 30 years and was a member of the Quad City Emmaus Community. Lois started the first Girl Scout troop in Annawan and she enjoyed traveling, card groups, theatre productions, and her family and friends.
Survivors include three sons, John (Denise) Douglas, Park Forrest, Ill., Bruce (Susan) Douglas, Springfield, Ill., and Scott (Michelle) Douglas, Tyler, Texas; 10 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband; a son, David; two brothers; and a sister.
Condolences may be expressed by visiting Lois' obituary at www.stackhousemoore.com.












 




Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.






(More History)