LOCAL FOOTBALL SCORING UPDATES PRESENTED BY THE HUNGRY HOBO:

JoAnn Jennings


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 12, 2012, 6:28 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
JoAnn M. Jennings, 81, of Milan, died Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012, at Hope Creek Care Center, East Moline.
Services are 10 a.m. Friday at First Presbyterian Church, Milan. Interment will be at Preemption Cemetery. Visitation will be 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Wheelan-Pressly Funeral Home, 201 E. 4th Ave., Milan. Memorials may be made to the Deacons of First Presbyterian Church, Milan, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, or to a fund to be established for her great-grandchildren's education.
JoAnn Marie Hendrix was born March 7, 1931, in Moline, a daughter of Delbert E. and Verna E. Wright Hendrix. She graduated in 1949 from Ava High School in Ava, Mo. She married Stanley E. Jennings on June 26, 1949, in Rock Island. He preceded her in death on Nov. 20, 1995.
In addition to being a homemaker, JoAnn was employed at the Eagle Foods warehouse in Milan for over 15 years. She retired in 1978.
She was a member of First Presbyterian Church, Milan, where in earlier years she taught Sunday school and Bible school. She was a member of the Ruth-Naomi Circle of the church and the Milan Lookout Mariners. She also volunteered with the reading program at Coyne Center Grade School and was a 4-H leader. JoAnn enjoyed crocheting, knitting, traveling and visiting the casinos.
Survivors include her daughters, Tarrilee Shannon, Coyne Center/Milan, and Paula Jo Tate, and her husband, Ron, Galesburg; grandchildren, Benjamin Shannon and Rebekah (Kenny) Stevenson; great-grandchildren, Richard J. Shannon, Kamryn Stevenson, a special baby in June, and Breanna Thomas; and many nieces, nephews and other relatives.
JoAnn was preceded in death by her parents; husband; one sister, Mary L. Swisher; three brothers, Robert, Kenneth and Jackie Lee Hendrix; and sons-in-law, Johnny C. White and Richard "Dick" Shannon.
Online condolences may be left for the family at wheelanpressly.com.














 



Local events heading








  Today is Saturday, Sept. 20, the 263rd day of 2014. There are 102 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: Recruits can get $500 by enlisting now. Lt Jobe has a recruiting office on Illinois Street.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Superintendent Schnitger formally inaugurated the Rock Island and Davenport Railway Line of the Holmes system by putting on four cars to start.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Wires of the defunct Union Electric Co. are being removed by city electricians.
1939 -- 75 years ago: The Bishop Hill softball team won the championship in WHB"S Mississippi Valley tournament at Douglas Park.
1964 -- 50 years ago: A boom in apartment construction has hit Rock Island, with approximately 300 units either in or near the construction stage or due for an early rezoning decision.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Members of the Bi-State Metropolitan Planning Commission are hoping to revive their push for a new $70 million four-lane bridge spanning the Mississippi River.






(More History)