Friends of the Canal monthly hike outing Nov. 18


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 12, 2012, 3:19 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Ed Herrmann


Hike the Canal

The Friends of the Canal are holding their monthly Hike the Canal outing on Sunday, November 18. This month's hike will be from Bridge 23 to Lock 22 on the canal. We will meet at Lock 22 at 1 :30 pm, where we will be shuttled to Bridge 23 to begin our hike. Directions to Lock 22 are to take Route 6 west of Sheffield approximately 3 1/2 miles or Route 6 east of Mineral approximately 1 1/2 miles, then turn north (watch for the Lock 22 signs on route 6) on county highway 300E.

This portion of the "Hike .the Hennepin" is 5.7 miles in length and It has been named the "Mink". The "Hike the Hennepin Challenge" has been developed by the Friends of the Hennepin Canal as an opportunity for everyone to get to know the Canal personally by hiking it from the Illinois River to the Mississippi (including the Feeder Canal) in small legs.

You need not be a member of the Friends to join us in any of the hikes. There is no fee for the hikes. We ask that you dress weather appropriately.

For more information, contact Ed Herrmann at:
hikes@friends-hennepin-canal.org (email) or call 815-664-2403 (home) or log on to our web site at: www.friends-hennepin-canal.org.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)