-– These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, MC22, WFXN-AM 1230, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, QC's Family Ties Productions and the Clinton Herald. The last vote was taken Oct. 24.
Rank. Team (Rec): How they fared
1. Pleasant Valley (11-1): SEASON OVER (quarterfinal Iowa 4A playoff loss).
2. Mercer County (12-0): Won at Amboy-LaMoille, 33-21 Saturday in the Illinois 2A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts state-rated Clifton Central in the Illinois 2A semifinals, TBA.
3. Rock Island (8-3): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 6A playoff loss).
4. Alleman (11-1): Won at state-rated Coal City, 28-13 Saturday in the Illinois 4A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday at Evergreen Park in the Illinois 4A semifinals, TBA.
5. Sterling Newman (12-0): Won at state-rated Wilmington, 28-26 Saturday in the Illinois 3A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts defending state champ Aurora Christian in the Illinois 3A semifinals, TBA.
6. Mediapolis (13-0): Beat state-rated Dyersville Beckman, 19-6 Saturday in the Iowa 2A semifinals. Next: Friday vs. state-rated Spirit Lake in the Iowa 2A state championship.
7. Assumption (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss).
8. Annawan-Wethersfield (10-2): Lost at Clifton Central, 48-27 Saturday in the Illinois 2A quarterfinals. SEASON OVER.
9. Muscatine (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss).
10. Monmouth-Roseville (8-3): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 3A playoff loss to No. 5 Sterling Newman).
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES:
11. Rockridge (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
12. Sterling (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 5A playoff loss).
13. Bettendorf (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss to No. 15 North Scott).
14. Stark County (10-2): Beat state-rated Forreston, 50-20 Saturday in the Illinois 1A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts top-ranked Stockton in the Illinois 1A semifinals, TBA.
15. North Scott (7-4): SEASON OVER (second round Iowa 4A playoff loss to No. 1 Pleasant Valley).
16. Preston (9-2): SEASON OVER (second round Iowa Eight-Man playoff loss).
17 (tie). Geneseo (6-5): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 4A playoff loss).
17 (tie). Monmouth United (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 1A playoff loss).
17 (tie). Morrison (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
ON THE RADAR:
NR. Galesburg (5-5): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 5A playoff loss).
NR. Erie-Prophetstown (5-5): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 3A playoff loss).
NR. Orion (6-5): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
Today is Monday, March 10, the 69th day of 2014. There are 296 days left in the year. 1864 -- 150 years ago: Numerous counterfeiters are around, taking advantage of the influx of currency to pass their worthless trash. 1889 -- 125 years ago: J.J. Reimers, secretary and treasurer of the Rock Island Lumber and Manufacturing Co., on behalf of that firm, contributed $500 toward construction of a new Methodist church. 1914 -- 100 years ago: Samuel Ryerson, county recorder, was re-elected president of the 19th District of Knights of Pythias. 1939 -- 75 years ago: Three condemnation suits have been filed by the city of Rock Island to acquire property needed for an approach to the Rock Island-Davenport bridge, which has been under construction since March 6. 1964 -- 50 years ago: Plans for an eight-story Sheraton Inn in downtown Rock Island were announced today at a luncheon meeting at the Gay Nineties sponsored by the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce. Cost of the structure is estimated at $2.5 million. 1989 -- 25 years ago: Representatives of the Hardee's Golf Classic and tournament sponsor Hardee's Food Systems may meet next week with PGA Tour Commissioner Deane Beman to discuss a possible change in the tournament dates.