-– These local media rankings are determined on a descending points system, with a first-place vote receiving 10 points, a second-place vote receiving 9 points, and so on. Presented by The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus, WQAD-TV 8, MC22, WFXN-AM 1230, Aledo's WRMJ-FM 102.3, Kewanee-based Regional Media, QC's Family Ties Productions and the Clinton Herald. The last vote was taken Oct. 24.
Rank. Team (Rec): How they fared
1. Pleasant Valley (11-1): SEASON OVER (quarterfinal Iowa 4A playoff loss).
2. Mercer County (12-0): Won at Amboy-LaMoille, 33-21 Saturday in the Illinois 2A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts state-rated Clifton Central in the Illinois 2A semifinals, TBA.
3. Rock Island (8-3): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 6A playoff loss).
4. Alleman (11-1): Won at state-rated Coal City, 28-13 Saturday in the Illinois 4A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday at Evergreen Park in the Illinois 4A semifinals, TBA.
5. Sterling Newman (12-0): Won at state-rated Wilmington, 28-26 Saturday in the Illinois 3A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts defending state champ Aurora Christian in the Illinois 3A semifinals, TBA.
6. Mediapolis (13-0): Beat state-rated Dyersville Beckman, 19-6 Saturday in the Iowa 2A semifinals. Next: Friday vs. state-rated Spirit Lake in the Iowa 2A state championship.
7. Assumption (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss).
8. Annawan-Wethersfield (10-2): Lost at Clifton Central, 48-27 Saturday in the Illinois 2A quarterfinals. SEASON OVER.
9. Muscatine (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss).
10. Monmouth-Roseville (8-3): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 3A playoff loss to No. 5 Sterling Newman).
ALSO RECEIVING VOTES:
11. Rockridge (7-3): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
12. Sterling (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 5A playoff loss).
13. Bettendorf (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Iowa 4A playoff loss to No. 15 North Scott).
14. Stark County (10-2): Beat state-rated Forreston, 50-20 Saturday in the Illinois 1A quarterfinals. Next: Saturday hosts top-ranked Stockton in the Illinois 1A semifinals, TBA.
15. North Scott (7-4): SEASON OVER (second round Iowa 4A playoff loss to No. 1 Pleasant Valley).
16. Preston (9-2): SEASON OVER (second round Iowa Eight-Man playoff loss).
17 (tie). Geneseo (6-5): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 4A playoff loss).
17 (tie). Monmouth United (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 1A playoff loss).
17 (tie). Morrison (6-4): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
ON THE RADAR:
NR. Galesburg (5-5): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 5A playoff loss).
NR. Erie-Prophetstown (5-5): SEASON OVER (first round Illinois 3A playoff loss).
NR. Orion (6-5): SEASON OVER (second round Illinois 2A playoff loss).
Today is Tuesday, Sept 2, the 245th day of 2014. There are 120 days left in the year.
1864 — 150 years ago: It is estimated that 300,000 people attended the recent Democratic convention in Chicago when Gen. George B. McClellan of New Jersey was nominated as a candidate for president of the United States. 1889 — 125 years ago: Alderman Frank Ill, Winslow Howard and Captain J.M. Montgomery returned from Milwaukee, where they attended the national Grand Army of the Republic encampment. 1914 — 100 years ago: Three members of the Rock Island YMCA accepted positions as physical directors of other associations. Albert Cook went to Kewanee, C.D. Curtis to Canton and Willis Woods to Leavenworth, Kan. 1939 — 75 years ago: Former President Herbert Hoover appealed for national support of President F.D. Roosevelt and Congress in every effort to keep the United States out of war. 1964 — 50 years ago: The Rock Island Junior chamber pf Commerce has received answers to about 65 % of the 600 questionnaires mailed out recently in a "Community Attitude Survey" to analyze sentiments of citizens towards their city's various recreational, educational, and civic service programs. 1989 — 25 years ago: The two thunderstorms passing through the Quad Cities last night and early today left some area residents reaching for their flashlights.