William 'Bill' Barbour


Share
Posted Online: Nov. 10, 2012, 6:27 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
William F. "Bill" Barbour died Oct. 31, 2012, ending a four-year struggle with the progressive neurodegenerative disease known as multiple system atrophy (MSA) or Shy-Drager syndrome.
A Mass of Christian burial will be held at 9 a.m., Wednesday, Nov. 14, at Our Lady of Guadalupe, West Seattle. Interment will follow at 12:30 p.m. at Tahoma National Cemetery, Covington, Wash.
Born on Oct. 18, 1924, in Rock Island, Bill served in the Navy during World War II, stationed in the Pacific. He graduated from the University of Illinois and was employed as a mechanical engineer by Kennametal Inc. for 38 years in the Midwest region. Bill, along with his family, resided in Cincinnati, Ohio and Rockford, Ill., prior to relocating with his wife to Gig Harbor, Wash., in 1998.
Bill is survived by Mary, his wife of 66 years; daughters Mary Beth and Suzanne both of Seattle, Wash.; son Steve of Duluth, Ga. (Florence); five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his daughter, Kathleen Westendorf, Redmond, Wash.; his parents, Willis M. and Teresa (formerly Bruha); four sisters, Madeline O'Brien (Len), Marguerite Waters (Harry), Claire Rose Bracelin (Bob), Mary Helen Amoni (Ed) and his brother, Gene Barbour (Marilyn), all of Illinois.
Memorial donations may be made in the name of William F. Barbour to SDS/MSA, 8311 Brier Creek Parkway, Suite 105-434, Raleigh, NC 27617 or www.shy-drager.org.
Condolences and memorials may be left in the online guestbook at www.howden-kennedy.com.

















 




Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2014. There are 105 days left in the year.
1864 -- 150 years ago: We are told league merchants have paid no attention to the prohibition on selling ammunition, but continue to sell just as before the order was issued.
1889 -- 125 years ago: The Rev. R.F. Sweet, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish, left for the East to visit his boyhood home in Boston before attending the general convention of the Episcopal Church in New York.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Dr. E.A. Anderson was named to succeed Dr. E.L. Kerns as head physician of the Modern Woodmen of America, and moved to Rock Island from Holdingford, Minn.
1939 -- 75 years ago: One week late, because of the outbreak of war, Dr. E.L. Beyer resumed his work as professor of romance languages at Augustana College. Dr. and Mrs. Beyer left Germany on the last train to the Belgian border.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Employees in Turnstyle stores in Moline and Davenport will vote Oct. 2 in an election set up by the Chicago regional office of the National Labor Relations Board. Employees will vote either for the Retail Clerk International or for no union.
1989 -- 25 years ago: Rock Island High School is considering a step to help teen moms stay in school and get their diploma. The school board is expected to vote tonight on instituting an on-site child care center.


(More History)