Augustana's Ander Lecture to provide historical perspective on immigration


Share
Posted Online: Oct. 16, 2012, 10:57 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Augustana College





Rock Island, Ill. – Dr. Donna Gabaccia from the University of Minnesota will give the 23rd annual O. Fritiof Ander Lecture in Immigration History on Saturday, Oct. 20, at 7 p.m. in the Hanson Hall of Science (726 35th St.), Room 102. This event, hosted by Augustana's Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, is free and open to the public.

Dr. Gabaccia's lecture, "The Freedom to Move: Immigrants and Natives 1779-present," will focus on immigration policy and histories of groups that have been forced to move or not allowed to move, providing a different way of thinking about immigration policy and notions of liberty.

"Immigration is a fundamental part of American history," said Dr. Dag Blanck, director of the Swenson Center. "Those who attend the lecture will hear a historical perspective on the rules and regulations surrounding immigration, and that perspective can provide insight on how one ponders the current situation and debate over American immigration."

Dr. Gabaccia is one of the leading scholars in the field of American immigration history today. Her specialties include international migration studies, United States immigration and labor history, comparative women and gender and world history.

She received her bachelor's degree from Mount Holyoke College and her doctorate from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. She also has published numerous books and articles, including Foreign Relations: American Immigration in Global Perspective (2012), What is Migration History? (2009) and We Are What We Eat: Ethnic Food and the Making of Americans (1998).

The O. Fritiof Ander Lecture in Immigration History is presented annually by a prominent scholar in the field of immigration studies. It is named after Dr. O. Fritiof Ander, an immigration historian who taught history at Augustana from 1930 to 1968.

For more information, please contact Keri Rursch, director of public relations, at kerirursch@augustana.edu or (309) 794-7721.



















 



Local events heading








  Today is Sunday, April 20, the 110th day of 2014. There are 255 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The attention of contractors is called to proposals for building a magazine. The building is to be erected on the south side of the island, above the railroad, nearly opposite Sinnit's ice houses.
1889 -- 125 years ago: Ladies patent leather tip shoes were selling for $3 at the M & K store, and men's spring overcoats were advertised at $7.50.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Fred Feuchter, of Davenport, was elected president of the Tri-City Post Office Clerks club, and Joe Goldsmith, of Rock Island, was named secretary treasurer.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Mass vaccination of more than 1,600 employed of the Rock Island Arsenal has been ordered by Col. Norman Ramsey after a 13-year-old daughter of the Arsenal manager became ill with smallpox.
1964 -- 50 years ago: The 1964 Scout-O-Rama of the Sac-Fox Council of Boy Scouts closed a two-day session last evening at the Rock Island Armory with 5,000 paid attendance.
1989 -- 25 years ago: "From the horse and buggy days ... to this" said Mercer County Sheriff Marvin Thirtyacre, waving his hand to indicate the sheriff's department facilities at the new $1.5 million Mercer County Jail in Aledo.




(More History)