- Result: The Clinton LumberKings pounded the Quad-Cities River Bandits 10-1 in Class A Midwest League play at Ashford University Field in Clinton on Friday. |
- How it happened: Clinton won the first two games of the series with ninth-inning, walkoff dramatics. None of those were needed to complete the sweep. The hosts (20-13 in the second half, 43-58 overall) scored in each of the first four innings to build a 10-0 lead and cruised to the victory. The loss dropped QC to 16-17, 51-51 overall and four games behind Clinton in the Western Division race. It is the first time in the second half that QC's record has been below .500.
- On the mound: It was a tough night for River Bandits right-handed starter Brad Watson (1-1) as he lasted just 1 1/3 innings. In his second start for QC since being transferred from advanced Class-A Palm Beach July 17, Watson allowed eight runs -- seven earned -- on nine hits and one walk while striking out one. In a career-high 4 2/3 innings, reliever Robert Stock allowed six hits, two runs and two walks while striking out three. Right-hander Ricky Martinez struck out three in two scoreless innings.
- At the plate: David Bergin accounted for QC's lone run with a solo homer in the fifth off winning pitcher Mayckol Guaipe (2-0), who worked six innings. Bergin became the eighth River Bandit to homer in consecutive games this season.
- Worth noting: LumberKings left fielder Anthony Phillips scored a team-high three runs and finished a triple shy of the cycle in helping the LumberKings out-hit QC 16-5.
- Up next: The River Bandits fell four games behind Clinton in the Western Division second-half race and remain tied with Kane County for third place. Quad Cities will begin a three-game series at Kane County tonight at 6:30 as the two enter the game tied for third place in the West. Left-hander Dail Villanueva (6-5) pitches for the River Bandits, and right-hander Kyle Smith (1-1) pitches for the Cougars.
Milan, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|