St. Ambrose campus projects will create 270 jobs in the QC


Share
Posted Online: June 29, 2012, 10:37 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
By Anthony Watt, awatt@qconline.com
St. Ambrose University is estimating several simultaneous campus capital projects will mean $27 million for the Quad-Cities economy and the equivalent of 270 full-time jobs.

The projects include:

-- A new residence hall;

-- Three new parking lots;

-- A new information technology data center;

-- An expansion of the Cosgrove Hall dining room;

-- Renovations to the Lewis Hall classroom building.

The total costs of all of the projects is $13.5 million. The data center project already is complete, with all of the other projects scheduled to be completed by August.

The new residence hall -- dubbed North Hall -- and the extra parking lots are aimed at addressing Davenport residents' concerns about students parking off campus and living in off-campus apartments around the university, according to St. Ambrose officials.

The four-story North Hall will have room for slightly more than 200 students. Work on the $10 million project began in September 2011.

St. Ambrose already has about a dozen residence halls of varying sizes that can house about 1,275 students, according to the SAU website. The site also lists a number of off-campus houses available to students.

The new parking lots, on the university's western border at Gaines Street, will add another 130 parking spaces, according to St. Ambrose officials. The $600,000 project began in May. The university already has more than a dozen student parking lots, according to its website.

The $1.5 million Lewis Hall renovation, which will add more biology and chemistry laboratories, began in May. The $600,000 Cosgrove Hall dining room expansion is designed to accommodate another 100 students. It also began earlier this year.

Work on the data center, in the basement of the St. Ambrose library, began in February. The project is valued at $800,000, according to university officials.




















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)