- Result: The hosting Kane County Cougars took a 4-1 Class A Midwest League baseball decision from the Quad Cities River Bandits at Fifth Third Bank Ballpark in Geneva.|
The River Bandits lost all three games in a series for the first time since May 1-3, 2011, at home against Wisconsin, and they were swept as the visiting team for the first time since Cedar Rapids swept a three-game set May 18-20, 2010. Quad Cities (29-32) was outscored by a total of just seven runs in the series but never led in any of the three games.
- How it happened: Cougar shortstop Orlando Calixte hit a triple and home run in his first two at-bats, scoring both times as he set the table for the hosts, who moved to 33-28 and remain in the hunt for first-half playoff contention in the Western Division.
- On the mound: QC starter Jonathan Cornelius (1-2) was tagged for seven hits and four earned runs in four innings. Willy Paulino (two innings), Travis Miller (one inning) and Heath Wyatt (one inning) pitched hitless relief, all striking out two batters. On the other side, Four Cougar pitchers combined on a four-hitter, with starter Angel Baez allowing three hits and one earned run in just four innings.
- At the plate: Nick Martini, Colin Walsh, Juan Castillo and Roberto De La Cruz each had one hit for the Bandits. They scored their lone run in the fourth when Castillo singled to leadoff the frame and De La Cruz lined a two-out single to right. With runners on the corners, Castillo scored on a wild pitch.
- Worth noting: Former QC pitcher Joe Kelly, who pitched for the Bandits in the 2010 season, was called up to the big-league club today and will get a spot-start on Sunday when the Cardinals host the Cleveland Indians at Busch Stadium. The move was necessitated with Jaime Garcia being put on the Disabled List on Thursday.
- Up next: QC opens a three-game series at Burlington tonight at 6:30. River Bandits left-hander Hector Hernandez (4-4) is scheduled to face Bees right-hander Max Perlman (1-2). QC leads the season series 4-2.
Rapids city, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|