In celebration of National Historic Preservation Month in May, the Rock Island Preservation Society (RIPS) will presenting its annual awards for work completed during 2011 at the Rock Island City Council meeting at 6:45 p.m. on May 21 Rock Island City Hall, 1528 3rd Ave.|
Each year RIPS honors individuals, groups, or businesses who have made special efforts to preserve or restore historic structures in our community or whose actions have served to support historic preservation in Rock Island. The awards are given primarily for exterior work that can be enjoyed from public right of way and are for projects which were completed during the previous year or earlier.
The 2012 award recipients are:
-- The Rock Island Economic Growth Corporation for restoration work done on Jackson Square Apartments, 2411 4th Ave. The former Illinois Oil Products building, a designated Rock Island Landmark, was converted to a 30 unit apartment complex as well as business or retail space and meeting rooms. A new entrance on 4th Avenue was designed to complement original features of the building. The renewed building was given the name "Jackson Square" in honor of the previous owner.
-- The Rock Island Economic Growth Corporation for restoration of homes at 1216 17th St., 821 21st St., and 850 22nd St. These three homes had extensive exterior restoration, which included "unveiling" or the removal of non-historic siding as well as major porch repairs. In all cases, windows were repaired rather than being replaced and wood storm windows were added. The final touch was painting the homes in an appropriate color scheme.
-- Augustana College for restoration of the Old Main Dome. The dome and cupola atop Old Main on the Augustana College Campus has been a highly visible icon for the college and the community since being completed in 1889. The entire building exterior of LeClaire dolomitic limestone was repaired, but the most striking repair was to the dome. By the time the scaffolding, which had embraced it for months, was removed, an entire new copper roof had replaced the previous painted metal roof.
-- Robert B. Frink will receive a certificate of recognition for restoration of the home located at 2401 30th St. On this home, the railings, deck and ventilated skirting under the porch beneath were completely restored with new wood and then stained. The railings replicate vintage scale and design with simple square balusters inset within top and bottom rails.
In addition, special "New Life" awards will be given to the following recipients:
-- Michael and Penni Steen for adaptive reuse of the Masonic Temple, 420 18th St. The development of Skellington Manor, a banquet and event center, has breathed "new life" into the former Masonic Temple and stabilized its future.
-- Roy Yelder for maintaining The Word Church/Immanuel Lutheran Church, 1923 5th Ave. When the Immanuel Lutheran congregation moved from their historic 1896 Gothic Revival building, Roy Yelder stepped forward to purchase the building, perform necessary maintenance, and find a new congregation in The Word Church, led by Pastor Jarrod Parker.
-- The Rock Island Fire Department for restoration of the Central Fire Station bell, 1313 5th Ave. The bell from the original 1891 Central Fire Station on Flatiron Square was given to a Boy Scout camp when the station was demolished in the 1960s. It was returned to Rock Island a few years ago and was restored by the fire department, under the leadership of Chief Jim Fobert. It is rung on special occasions.
Moline, IL Details
|(More Print Ads)|