Earlier this spring, The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus asked for nominations for the title of Most Magnificent Mom of the Quad-Cities. On this page are the six finalists chosen to vie for that honor.
The selection of these finalists was based solely on the strength of their nominating letters. Now it's up to readers to decide who among the six is the most magnificent. Here's how:
1. Read the nominating letters. The finalists are:
2. Decide which mom you think is the most magnificent of the bunch.
3. Cast your vote by email or regular mail.
* To vote electronically, email email@example.com and put the mom's name in the subject line. Email voting ends at midnight Monday, May 7.
* To vote via mail, write the name of the mom on a piece of paper and mail it to: Magnificent Mom, c/o The Dispatch/Argus, 1720 5th Ave., Moline, IL 61265. All mailed votes must be postmarked by Monday, May 7.
* Only one vote per person or email address will be allowed.
The recipient of the most votes will be named Most Magnificent Mom of the Quad-Cities and will be revealed on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 13, in The Dispatch and The Rock Island Argus. The winner also will be treated to a spa package worth $195 from Serenity Salon & Day Spa, Moline, which includes a one-hour massage, aromatic bliss facial, manicure and pedicure.
Today is Tuesday, May 21, the 141st day of 2013. There are 224 days left in the year. 1863 -- 150 years ago: On Monday the 11th inst. on Center Ridge in Mercer County,some citizens got out their cannon to celebrate the taking of Richmond. The gun wasoverloaded and burst. No one was injured, but one 30-pound piece went though thesecond story of a house. 1888 -- 125 years ago: The old folks concert at the Harper Theater last night to benefit St.Luke's Cottage Hospital, attracted a large audience. 1913 -- 100 years ago: Unless depredation by vandals in Rock Island parks is halted,special policemen will be assigned to night duty to protect the flowers and other property. 1938 -- 75 years ago: Station WHBF has received a special citation from Washington forits participation in Air Mail Week, which was observed this week throughout the nation. 1963 -- 50 years ago: A 10-year high in employment in the Quad-City area was reachedat the end of the last quarter, according to an industrial employment barometer releasedtoday. 1988 -- 25 years ago: Pee Wee teams will be able to play baseball and softball as usualon Diamond Three at Dorrance Park this summer, but after that, the ball field is doomed.County crews have put the diamond back in shape after heavy trucks marred the playingfield earlier this spring. Illinois Department of Transportation crews drove onto it to makeborings for the relocation of the junction of Illinois 84 and the Port Byron-Hillsdale road.