Black Hawk College unveils first new logo in 20 years


Share
Originally Posted Online: April 04, 2011, 2:05 pm
Last Updated: April 04, 2011, 6:52 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story

Black Hawk College unveiled a new logo today to replace the one it has used for more than 20 years.

Marketing and public relations director John Meineke unveiled the new logo as well as a redesigned website during a conference at the college in Moline Monday morning.

The new logo incorporates the school's colors, elements of the area's Native American Sauk tribe heritage and a symbolic flame to represent intellectual growth.

According to a press release from the school, Black Hawk College was founded in 1946 as Moline Community College. In 1962 it became the first junior college district in Illinois and was renamed Black Hawk College after Black Sparrow Hawk, a war leader of the Sauk tribe.

"For the Sauk tribe, the hawk is a sacred bird, and the sparrow hawk is the rarest and most sacred of all hawks," the release states. "For this reason we chose to feature the sparrow hawk in the new logo.

"East was an important direction to the Sauk as it represented not only the rising sun but a source of growth and renewed life. We believe Black Hawk College provides the opportunity for growth and renewed life. For this reason the head of the sparrow hawk faces east in our new logo."

According to the release, a flame or torch is often used to symbolize education or intellectual growth. The new logo "features a wing which extends upward so that an open flame may be seen in its design. By combining the symbolic flame into the wing, the completed logo enables us to tell the story of our past and share our exciting vision for our future."

The college's redesigned website -- www.bhc.edu -- provides access to almost 100 links within one click of the homepage. The online college-credit class schedule is an interactive flip book, and the new video spotlight will feature the school's commercials.

For more information, visit bhc.edu.
















 



Local events heading








  Today is Wednesday, April 23, the 113th day of 2014. There are 252 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: Some persons are negotiating for 80 feet of ground on Illinois Street with a view of erecting four stores thereon. It would serve a better purpose if the money was invested in neat tenement houses.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Central station, car house and stables of the Moline-Rock Island Horse Railway line of the Holmes syndicate, together with 15 cars and 42 head of horses, were destroyed by fire. The loss was at $15,000.
1914 — 100 years ago: Vera Cruz, Mexico, after a day and night of resistance to American forces, gradually ceased opposition. The American forces took complete control of the city.
1939 — 75 years ago: Dr. R. Bruce Collins was reelected for a second term as president of the Lower Rock Island County Tuberculosis Association.
1964 — 50 years ago: Work is scheduled to begin this summer on construction of a new men's residence complex and an addition to the dining facilities at Westerlin Hall at Augustana College.
1989 — 25 years ago: Special Olympics competitors were triple winners at Rock Island High School Saturday. The participants vanquished the rain that fell during the competition, and some won their events; but most important, they triumphed over their own disabilities.




(More History)