U of I Exhibit Reception at the Figge


Share
Posted Online: Jan. 26, 2011, 10:06 am
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Press release submitted by Figge Art Museum

Figge & university of Iowa Celebrate New exhibitions

This Sunday January 30th, the Figge Art Museum and the University of Iowa will be hosting a public reception celebrating three new exhibitions at the museum – "Tracks: The Railroad in Photographs from the George Eastman House Collection"; "Crossing the Mississippi: The Quad Cities, the Railroad and Art "; and "Those Who Can: The University of Iowa School of Art & Art History Studio Faculty Exhibition." The event begins at 2:00 P.M. with a lecture by University of Iowa professor of Art History Joni Kinsey, PhD. Dr. Kinsey's lecture will survey an array of images relating to American artists' involvement with railroads and the impact of their art on tourism and travel. From the earliest "Artists Excursions" sponsored by railroads for the creation of corporate railroad art collections, artists have been an integral part of our relationship with trains, travel and tourism. Following the lecture, at 3:00 P.M., the Figge and the University of Iowa will celebrate its continued partnership with light hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar in the lobby and café. Representatives from the University of Iowa will offer remarks on the "Those Who Can" exhibition at 3:30 P.M. in the lobby.

The lecture and reception are free to members, University of Iowa faculty, staff and students, or with general museum admission. For more information and museum hours, contact the Figge at 563.326.7804 or visit figgeart.org.

"Tracks" and its educational programming are funded in part by the Riverboat Development Authority, Humanities Iowa and the National Endowment for the Humanities.






















 



Local events heading








  Today is Thursday, Oct. 2, the 275th day of 2014. There are 90 days left in the year.

1864 -- 150 years ago: The ladies have adopted the fashion of wearing representations of insects in the flowers on their bonnets. Some look very natural.
1889 -- 125 years ago: T.F. Cary, former Rock Island alderman, has accepted a position as salesman for a Chicago wallpaper house and plans to move to that city.
1914 -- 100 years ago: Work on the new telephone building on 18th Street between 6th and 7th avenues is progressing rapidly.
1939 -- 75 years ago: Rock Island's new theater at 3rd Avenue and 19th Street will have a name significant of its location. The "Rocket" is scheduled to open Thanksgiving Day.
1964 -- 50 years ago: Two of Rock Island's newest water towers were vandalized last night, including the one at 38th Street and 31st Avenue, where police took five Moline boys into custody about 9 p.m..
1989 -- 25 years ago: Some of us who live in the Quad-Cities take the Mississippi River for granted, or at least we used to. But the river is not taken for granted by our visitors. And most Quad-Citians are realizing the importance of the river to this area as increased emphasis is placed on tourism.







(More History)