Russell Lagerblade


Share
Posted Online: Oct. 30, 2010, 5:11 pm
Comment on this story | Print this story | Email this story
Russell E. Lagerblade, a prominent real estate broker, passed away Oct. 28, 2010, after an extended illness. A great friend, father and husband, Russ was born Sept. 7, 1936, in Moline, the son of Elim and Helen Lagerblade.

Formerly, Mr. Lagerblade was leasing agent for Royal Properties, who were instrumental in building 23 Central Phoenix commercial properties in the 1960s. He was then sales director and office manager for Royal Packing Co., and commercial property manager for Bud Melcher & Associates, Real Estate. Russ formed his own company, Lagerblade & Associates Inc. in 1971, and handled numerous partnership investments.

He graduated from Arizona State University in 1960 and his license plate reads, "ASU NUT". He graduated in 1960 from the business college with a degree in finance and was awarded the Banking Associates Scholarship for the outstanding finance student. He was an avid ASU fan attending every sporting event he could manage. He was a charter member of Orangewood Athletic Association, active as a Boy Scout leader, a former member of Phoenix Rotary 100, the Phoenix Chamber and Executive Association of Greater Phoenix (EAGP).

Russ was a true friend and there will be many who miss him. He had a deep abiding love of God and was a member of La Casa de Cristo Lutheran Church.

He leaves behind his wife of 51 years, Sandra, a friendship that started in the 7th grade and a lifetime of love when they married Aug. 29, 1959. His children were his pride and joy and when they walked through the door his day was complete; sons, Mark (Chris), Phoenix, and Randy (Ruth), Johnston, Iowa; daughter, Julie Rich; grandchildren, Jamie and Lana Williams, Helen, Walter, Eileen, Gretchen and Neil Lagerblade; and great-granddaughter, Taylor Williams. He also says goodbye to two brothers, Roy (Mary) and Robert (D'Ann), both in Illinois.

In lieu of flowers the family suggests memorials to Arizona Kidney Foundation, 4203 E. Indian School Road, No. 104, Phoenix, AZ 85018; ASU Athletic Department, Carson Center, P.O. Box 872505, Tempe, AZ 85258; or Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
















 




Local events heading








  Today is Tuesday, Sept. 16, the 259th day of 2014. There are 106 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A fine lumber mill is on the course of erection at Andalusia. A flouring mill at that location is doing a fine business.
1889 — 125 years ago: J.B. Lidders, past captain of Beardsley Camp, Sons of Veterans, returned from Paterson, N.Y., where he attended the National Sons of Veterans encampments.
1914 — 100 years ago: President Wilson announced that he had received from the imperial chancellor of Germany a noncommittal reply to his inquiry into a report that the emperor was willing to discuss terms of peace.
1939 — 75 years ago: Delegates at the Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church in Springfield voted to raise the minimum pay of ministers so that every pastor would get at least $1,000 annually.
1964 — 50 years ago: An audience of more than 2,600 persons jammed into the Davenport RKO Orpheum theater with a shoe horn feasted on a Miller-Diller evening that was a killer night. Phyllis Diller sent the audience with her offbeat humor. And send them she did! It was Miss Diller's third appearance in the Quad-Cities area.
1989 — 25 years ago: A few years ago, a vacant lot on 7th Avenue and 14th Street in Rock Island was a community nuisance. Weeds grew as high 18 inches. Today, the lot has a new face, thanks to Michael and Sheila Rind and other neighbors who helped them turn it into a park three weeks ago.





(More History)